TCLUG Archive

100bT problem

  I have  a RedHat server here with a 3com 3c9x5 10/100 card in it (I think
it's a "Fast EtherLink XL", but Linux treats it as a 3c9x5 Vortex/Boomerang
card).  It had been connected to a 10bT hub, but we recently moved it to a
Baystack 350 Autosense switch, which runs 100bT.

   When the system is booted, the switch detects the card as 100bT, full
duplex.  However, once Linux initializes the network, it suddenly drops the
connection altogether.  rebooting the switch or moving the cable to a
different port brings the system online at 10bT, half-duplex.

   The kernel is 2.0.36-1.  3c9x5 support is included as a module, and seems
like it ought to work at high speeds.  A similar system, running Caldera,
runs the same card perfectly fine, but I can't spot what's different.  I'm
thinking I may need to reconfigure the switch, but thought I'd see if
anybody here can think of something else I might be missing.

---

Eric Hillman
CCCU -- UNIX Sysadmin
ehillman@cccu.com
The opinions expressed in this message are mine.  You can't have them.