TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:4595] Sound still doesn't work

> One of the worst things about Linux is the difficulty in
> configuring your system.
>
> Tried running isapnp, uncommented the lines in /etc/isapnp.conf,
> ran it, but nothing comes out of the speakers in KDE when playing a
> CD, and kmixer states there is no mixer support for my system. The
> boot message states the system detects the sound card. Btw,
> windoze, upon boot, gives me the following data: SBPro I/O=220
> IRQ=5 DMA=1.
>
> How do I actually get sound to work?
>
> Maybe buy a Mac.

Do you have a WinModem with voicemail capability, something like
that? Because I was having the same problem with my SB-compabile
sound card until I yanked my WinModem, which had a patch wire linked
to the card, and apparently this messed up the DMA i/o addresses,
etc., etc.

Just a thought. Maybe you should just look at your sound card and see
what else it's hooked up to, besides the motherboard.
Hugh Johnson
hugh@semplicesoft.com
<http://www.semplicesoft.com>