TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:5668] Please recommend Network cards for RHlinux

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, NanTu wrote:

> this Linux box and use Linux to connect to Internet. Therefore, he wants two
> Network cards. He also wants two 10/100M or at least one 10M to MediaOne and
> one 100M to his other computers.
>
> My questions:
> 1.  Which Network Cards do I buy that will work for RH Linux? 3Com and Intel
> are good but are 50$ and above. I do not mind buying them, but any cheaper
> ones better yet?

IMHO,

I just bought a netgear FA310TX from the local Compusa for $24.99.  This
card is a 10/100 model and it works with the latest tulip driver.  So far,
this card has been the best value.  I also have two 3Com905 10/100 cards
but they ran me over $90 a peice when I originally bought them.

One caveat with the FA310TX though ... Support for card seems to be
missing from the some of the 2.0 series boot/install disks.  The older
tulip drivers don't seem to work.  The card is recognized but it doesnt'
actually talk on the net :-(

I did a fresh network install of redhat 6.0 using this card and it worked
great.  It did not work with SUSE 5.2, Redhat 5.1, or Stampede boot disks.

Dan